Estess Keepsake is one quarter mile from the Colorado River, which
separates Rocky Mountain National Park from private land, and where
fly-fishing abounds. It is one half mile from "Winding River
Campground," which has all kinds of camping, and also offers
horseback-riding, hay-rides, cook-outs, pancake breakfasts, ice
cream suppers and other fun activities, including a playground
especially for children.
Renters can enjoy a multitude of activities that are available in
the local area. This is a list of just a few of the things that you
can do in the area while staying at Estess Keepsake:
1. Enjoy birding, watching the local wildlife including elk and
moose, or just vegging out on the covered porch, covered patio or
2. Go fishing on Sunset Valley Lake, which is stocked every spring.
3. Explore miles of hiking trails near the house or in the Arapahoe
National Forest, across the lake, or within Rocky Mountain National
Park (1 mile away).
4. Go horseback-riding at nearby Winding River Campground (½ mile
away) or out from the village (3 miles away).
5. If you are really adventurous, rent a Mountain bike anywhere in
the area and hit some of the estimated 2,000 miles of trails all
around or out from the way to the town of Winter Park (30 miles
6. Tour the little western town of Grand Lake Village (3 miles
away), which offers restaurants, shopping and other amenities, a
heated swimming pool, arts and crafts, mountain bike rental, boat
rental at either of two marinas, golfing, tennis and bowling.
7. Enjoy some of the best views in Colorado, over Grand Lake, Mt.
Baldy in Rocky Mountain National Park, and also Shadow Mountain Lake
and other mountain ranges while eating and drinking on the grand
porch at "Grand Lake Lodge" -- or sitting in their majestic lodge
around the huge circular fireplace, or shopping at their gift shop
that offers jewelry, rugs and other western specialties (1 mile
8. Paddle around or fish in our dingy (No motors are allowed on our
9. More serious boaters can rent a sailboat, canoe, motor boat, or
platoon boat on Grand Lake itself or on Shadow Mountain Lake or
10. FLY FISHING GALORE in the park, Colorado River, or other nearby
creeks and streams.
11. Drive to the top of Rocky Mountain National Park, over
Trailridge Pass, where you might see abundant wildlife, including
mountain sheep and goats, and over to the town of Estes Park.
12. Soar the skies in a hot air balloon for a panoramic view of the
Rocky Mountains (rentals at village of Granby -- 17 miles away).
13. In the summer, enjoy wildflowering during end of June through
August (July best).
14. In winter, try snowmobiling, cross country and downhill skiing
and snowboarding, snow shoeing, and ice fishing. Or downhill ski on
some of Granby's smaller slopes or on the large mountains in Winter
Park (30 miles away).
15. Afterwards, bathe in or later take a trip to "Sulphur Hot
Springs" (25 miles away), which offers a large natural heated pool,
and all kinds of hot pools, massages and facials. There is a snack
shop there, as well as 2 or 3 cafes and restaurants in the town.
16. If you have time for a 3-6 hour drive, try taking the back roads
up to Wyoming.
17. On rainy or snowy days (some have been in summer!), watch movies
or play games in the comfort of the house, or read a good book by
the fire, or write journals about your trip.
18. Enjoy cooking wonderful meals in our kitchen, which has all of
the modern amenities.
19. PHOTOGRAPHY GALORE!!!!!!!!! and More!